Karen came to architecture following a first career as an educator. Karen receiving an MArch from the University of Colorado and worked at several firms in the Denver area and as a Campus Architect with the Colorado Community College System prior to founding Architecture Matters in 1996.
Working with a wide variety of architects, engineers, and contractors, as well as the unique perspective gained in facilities management and owners representation helps her build trust and respect among the project team. She has the ability to glean the essence of complex issues and to translated them into innovative design solutions.
Karen's current field of investigation is in "Strategic Empty Nesting" concentrating on invisible, well designed aging-in-place strategies.
- MASTER OF ARCHITECTURE
University of Colorado at Denver
- B.A. MATHEMATICS, cum laude
University of Colorado at Boulder
- Post Graduate Courses
Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Photography
- Pilot and Flight Instructor
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- AWARD OF DESIGN EXCELLENCE, University of Colorado at Denver - 1990
- TAU SIGMA DELTA, architecture honorary
- TAU BETA PI, engineering honorary
- PHI BETA KAPPA, arts and science honorary
- BOETTCHER SCHOLAR
- AIA COLORADO, PRESIDENT'S RECOGNITION AWARD 2000 and 2001
- Colorado Licensed Architect: 203128
- Colorado Board of Examiners of Architects - 2002-2006 / Secretary 03 - VP 04-06
- American Institute of Architects - Colorado - Government Affairs Committee
- American Institute of Architects - National
Small Project Practitioners - National Chair 2004
Moderator - National SPP Design Awards Jury 2005
"Handbook of Professional Practice" - 14th edition - Steering Committee 2005-6
Continuing Education Curriculum Development Project 2007-8
- National Council Architectural Registration Boards:
Reciprocity Impediments Taskforce 2003
Practice Education Taskforce 2005 /
ARE graphics committee 2006, 07, 08, 09
- Nationl Architects Accreditation Board: Visiting Teams to Universities 2006, 2007, 2008
- Aurora Historic Preservation Commission (Former Commissioner)
- Governor's Metro Growth Forum Delegate - 1995
- Capitol Hill United Neighborhoods & Colfax on the Hill B.I.D.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- AIA National Convention 2003 - Speaker - "So You Want to Have Your Own Business?"
- Colorado Public Radio - Colorado Matters - "Restoration of the Eisenhower Suite"
- Article -"The Architect's Handbook of Professional Practice 2004 Update" - Wiley Press
- Various articles for National AIA Small Projects Forum Journal - 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
- AIA National Webinar Participant & Colorado Speaker - "Practice in a Down Economy"